The 15 grim statistics behind African migration
- Africa has the most number of presidents who have amended the constitution, removing presidential term limit (International Democracy Watch).
- Africa has the most incidences of post-election violence (International Crisis Group reports)
- Africa has the highest population growth rate, 3%+ (UN Populations Prospects report 2017).
- Africa has the highest rate of slum incidence of any major world region, with roughly 200 million people (or 20%) living in mega slum cities (UN Human Settlements Programmes HBITAT reports).
- Africa is the most unequal continent, both within itself and in comparison, to other continents: the lowest GDP and pa capita income, the lowest access to health, education, clean water and food. (UNDP Human Development reports).
- Africa is facing the greatest threat of environmental degradation and desertification (UN Environment Programme UNEP reports)
- Africa has the highest child and maternal mortality rate (The World Health Organisation WHO reports).
- Africa has the worst record on human rights violations: violence against women, children, opposition and the press (UN Commission on Human Rights reports).
- Africa is hosting the largest number of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) and cross-border refugees, (UN High Commission for Refugees reports).
- Africa needs the most emergency food aid every year (UN World Food Programmes WFP reports)
- Africa tops the league table of women facing poverty, sexual violence, economic and political disenfranchisement (UN Women reports).
- Africa has the largest number of women and children in need of support (United Nations Children’s Fund UNICEF reports).
- Africa has the largest number of child labourers, with 59 million children between the ages of 5 and 17 involved in hazardous work (International Labour Organization ILO reports).
- Africa has the worst record on political and financial corruption (Transparency International reports)
- Africa is the most violent continent, hosting nine 9/16, or 56% of UN peacekeeping missions in the world (UN Security Council).